Welcome

To all those interested in the natural world. Please add your sightings.

In the woods we return to reason and faith-Emerson

Best-Lynn

Sunday, May 6, 2012

5.06.12 Spring Treats

I always look for Baltimore Orioles when the apple trees are in bloom.  They didn't fail me!   This afternoon, I spotted that glowing orange and black ducking around in the quince bush, seemingly trying to hide among the bright pink-orange blossoms.   The quince also attracted my first-of-the-year Ruby-throated Hummingbird.   The Oriole moved on to the pink-and-white profusion of an apple tree.
     Earlier, I nearly mistook a Black-capped Chickadee for a hummingbird: perched on a branch of the plum tree, it was fanning its wings at the speed of a hovering hummingbird - until it took off in pursuit of another chickadee in the orchard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment