Welcome

To all those interested in the natural world. Please add your sightings.

In the woods we return to reason and faith-Emerson

Best-Lynn

Tuesday, February 28, 2012


2.27.12 Although there's little-to-no snow on southern exposures and in the valley, the north side of Black Mountain still has several inches of white, frozen precipitation the texture of firm styrofoam. Sturdy ice cleats were much-appreciated as I bushwhacked my way to the top over terrain that I rarely attempt. Just as I was thinking that I should be looking for mountain goat tracks, bobcat tracks appeared instead. Bobcat tracks are difficult to see on hard snow; their furry feet prevent clear toe imprints, and the margin of the track is blurred by their fur insulation.
At a much lower elevation, a flock of turkeys was out fluffing up leaf litter under hemlock and beech trees and chatting as they dined; I wondered if the bobcat had investigated them, too. There was too little snow to think I'd see any of its tracks there.

No comments:

Post a Comment