Welcome

To all those interested in the natural world. Please add your sightings.

In the woods we return to reason and faith-Emerson

Best-Lynn

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Utah 10.04.12

Red tailed hawks are year-round inhabitants of this area; since the Swainson's hawk left, I see them much more frequently.  Recently, I've seen two of them have been perched together in various trees; the larger appears much more wary than the lighter one.   When I went out for my walk,  I observed this Eastern racer in the path.   The puncture wounds on the belly seemed consistent with talon wounds.   I didn't have my ruler, but my best estimate is that it was 22-24 inches long.  They grow to more than 4 feet in length, so this must have been a fairly young one.



     Near the reservoir where the White pelican continues to spend much time, the pair of Red-tails flew from the snag they both occupied and soared around the area.  I wonder if one of them had something to do with the abandoned snake.   

No comments:

Post a Comment