Welcome

To all those interested in the natural world. Please add your sightings.

In the woods we return to reason and faith-Emerson

Best-Lynn

Monday, June 18, 2012

Kits at play 6.18.12



Near the end of my woodland journey this afternoon, movement attracted my attention:  three raccoon kits were playing around near a Black Cherry tree about 25 yards away.  They didn't seem aware of my presence, so I stayed to watch them for quite a while.  Their coloration varied: two were similarly-colored; the third was so dark that for some time, I thought it was a porcupine!  (Not a good day to have left binoculars at home!)  Their waddle is just like that of the porcupine; although I've seen raccoons on my deck or front porch, finding them at their home was much more entertaining.  Only the two lighter-colored kits climbed the tree; they pivoted around and came down head first;  the dark one persisted on digging around the base of the cherry tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment