Welcome

To all those interested in the natural world. Please add your sightings.

In the woods we return to reason and faith-Emerson

Best-Lynn

Friday, May 4, 2012

Birds interrupt housework

5.04.12    Early this morning a black-capped Chickadee's nest construction derailed my housework.  Earlier this week I had propped the mop against the rail of the deck to dry; this morning the chickadee collected  a substantial beak-full of lint, hair, and bits of the yellow spongy fabric before flitting off.  The activity was repeated at least a few other times as I kept an eye on the window whenever I passed by.
     Near noon, I spotted a pair of cowbirds and reached for the binoculars to take a second look.  That pair flew up, but I was well-rewarded by the sight of an Eastern Towhee that posed for a minute or two until a chipmunk charged it.   Eastern Towhees are infrequent visitors in my yard.  I wish a Towhee and Robin would pose side-by-side sometime so I could better evaluate whether their colors are as similar as I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment